Treating your children’s teeth from an early age can create a great foundation of healthy teeth for a lifetime! Keeping up on their dental care from a young age will help them become accustomed to regular dental check-ups and allow their dentist to detect any early warning signs of needed treatment. Extensive treatment down the road can oftentimes be prevented through regular check-ups.
When Should a Child Visit the Dentist?
It is recommended that a child sees their dentist for the first time around their first birthday. Although they may not have a ton of teeth, this allows them to get to know their dentist and their dental team from an early age!
What to Expect at the First Visit
Nothing extensive will be done at a child’s first visit. Mainly, we want them to sit in the dental chair, have fun with our team and let their dentist check out their growing smile! We will keep their first visit non-invasive, just checking the number of teeth that they have and making sure there are no warning signs of early decay. Any questions you have can be answered at this appointment and a great foundation will be made for the future of their dental health! You can then begin scheduling regular visits following this appointment.
At-Home Dental Care for Kids
Good dental hygiene at home is key to a healthy smile! Teaching your little ones to care for their teeth will help them learn how to have a healthy smile for life! Following these tips can help you know how to keep up with their dental care:
- Brush their teeth with a rice-sized amount of toothpaste following each feeding or meal. For babies, you can wipe down their teeth and gums with a clean cloth or brush.
- Avoid giving your baby a bottle at bedtime, as milk sitting on their teeth can cause decay
- Begin flossing when their teeth begin to touch each other
- Have your child wear a mouthguard during any contact sports
- As your children become independent in caring for their teeth, continually check to make sure they are taking the time to properly brush and floss
If you are looking into pediatric dentistry in Lititz, PA, call us today to start your little one down a healthy dental path!