Many Americans suffer from some form of gum disease. Left untreated, gingivitis and other mild forms of gum disease can worsen over time and turn into a much bigger problem. Gum disease can not only affect your oral health, but also your overall health. This is because gum tissue supports the teeth, shapes the face and protects you from dental drift and tooth loss as well as other oral issues. Gum disease also can increase your risk of diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
If you are diagnosed with gingivitis, frequent professional teeth cleanings are usually recommended for reversing this type of mild gum disease. However, periodontitis or other forms of advanced gum disease may require one of the following treatments:
- Scaling – This procedure removes plaque and tartar building below the gum line.
- Root planing – This treatment smooths tooth roots preventing future plaque and tartar buildup.
- Antibiotic therapy – This therapy consists of applying topical antibiotics below the gum line, helping to reduce the bacteria and limit the plaque production.
- Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique – This treatment helps restore the original shape and coverage of gum tissue after the gums have receded due to gum disease.
- Customized at-home care plan – At-home treatment will be given including professional grade products and a strict hygiene plan which will help maintain improved gum health.
- Increased check-ups – More frequent deep cleanings may be necessary to maintain or improve the health of the gums.
If you are suffering from gum disease in Lititz, PA, call our office today to get treatment to reverse the effects of gum disease.